Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Alex and Charlie's Baptism

Alex and Charlie were baptized this past Sunday, May 12th at Salem UMC. Rev. Paul B. Thompson, the senior pastor at Mills River came to do the baptism for us. It was a wonderful service and time with family.


When Michael went to Israel, he brought back some water from the Jordan River which we used for their baptism.

The week before the service, I spent a lot of time talking with Lucy about what we would be doing Sunday. I talked to her about when we had her baptized and told her that on Sunday we would be standing up in front of the church, promising to love and take care of her brothers and teach them all about Jesus. Lucy responded with, "Yes, we will teach them so that they can learn to love Jesus just like I do!" I will have to admit that I teared up a little. What an awesome responsibility God has placed in my insufficient hands to help guide these children in developing their faith and finding their place and purpose in this world. I am thankful for those moments as we watch Lucy's faith develop and her understanding of the love of Jesus grows. I know she will play a key role in guiding her brother's in their walk with Jesus as well.



Of course, Lucy is still Lucy! During the service, apparently she felt that the congregation was her audience as well. She has been very excited about curtsying lately, so while we were up there, she kept bowing and curtsying to everyone who was watching. ;)



The boys did such a great job - neither of them fussed at all!! Alex was first. . . 


Charlie came close to grabbing the candle at one point in time. .  .



Paul had his hands full!


Afterwards, we made sure to get pictures. . . 





I love any time that we get to be a part of the sacrament of baptism; it is something truly beautiful. And the baptism of my own children reminds me of the great responsibility I have been given with these three sweet children. Alex and Charlie, "My Boys" as I call them, ultimately are not mine but God's "boys." In the Methodist church, we believe that baptism, as a means of grace, signifies God’s initiative in the process of salvation. John Wesley preached “prevenient grace,” the grace that works in our lives before we are aware of it, bringing us to faith. The sacrament of baptism is our way of acknowledging the gift God has given us in these two little boys. We recognize that He is and has been present in their lives since the moment of conception. As I look back at the past nine months, I see his hand so clearly. Despite their early arrival, both boys were at a healthy weight, able to breathe on their own with minimal assistance, and had no major issues related to their premature birth. I am acutely aware of how blessed we are - things could have easily been so drastically different. Both boys show little to no delays in their development; any delay they have is no more than about six weeks, the amount of their early arrival. And of course, God is ever present in each of their lives, at this moment- He knows what each day holds and helps us daily to meet their needs. We are called as their parents to nurture them in His love, to help guide them as they grow to understand His agape love for them and His desire for a personal relationship with each of them. . . until Alex and Charlie can one day confirm this truth for themselves. Baptism reminds us to look forward to how God will use this precious little boys change lives for His kingdom. I look at my three children, amazed each day as they grow into the people they were created to be. 

 A great responsibility has been given to me and Michael to "raise up a child (three of them!) in the way he should go." So many days I don't feel that I am worthy of this task. . . I fail on a daily basis. But during Paul's sermon that day, he mentioned about how Paul (in the Bible) felt the same way. In Romans 7:15 - "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." So many times, I go to bed knowing that I wasn't the best Mom I could be. I let my own selfish desires get in the way of doing what is best for my family. And let's be honest, there are even some moments where I just want to go hide from it all. And I hate that about myself. But thankfully, He doesn't expect me to do it on my own - in fact, he doesn't want me to! He wants me to rely on Him - to ask for His help in this day to day grind of taking care of little ones. To seek His face for guidance as I want to wring my almost four year old's neck because she just won't do what I asked her to. To thank Him in those joyful moments as my heart burst with pride over Lucy's reading skills or when Charlie's face burst into his amazing smile or when Alex's laugh brightens my day. To gaze in wonder at His creation of these three angels as they sleep peacefully in their beds. To admit that no matter how hard I try, I will never be good enough on my own . . .and that I don't have to be. That's one of the things I have been reminded over and over again these past nine months. He has blessed me with an amazing partner through this journey - I don't know what I would do without Michael. And with His help, I have confidence that Michael and I can together do all that we can to provide a safe, loving home for these three. . . to mold and shape them in their journey to discover who they are as members of God's family so that one day they will make that decision for themselves. As I look at everything I have accomplished or ever hope to accomplish in my lifetime, I do know this - raising these three children to learn to love their Heavenly Father is the most important thing I will ever do. What an awesome task that I am only worthy of because of the grace He has given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment