Wednesday, August 15, 2012

August 10, 2012 - What a day!

Let me just begin this post by saying that when I woke up on Friday morning, I had no clue that I would be looking at my boys by the end of the day. I got up at 5:30 as usual, headed to Hendersonville Elementary for what was supposed to be my next to last Friday at work. We had been to the OB's office just the day before and had an ultrasound to check on the development of the boys. Everything about that visit had gone well - the twins were growing and while space was getting tight, they still had plenty of room and fluid between the two of them. Charlie was measuring approximately 4 lbs, 11 oz and Alex was measuring about 4 lbs, 3 oz. Alex was still breech, so we went ahead and scheduled a C section for September 13th.

During the day on Friday, I began to have contractions. I didn't think much of them, since I had been having them off and on for weeks now. They weren't consistent and while they were uncomfortable, it wasn't unbearable. They got worse towards lunch, but after lunch they slacked off. I continued on, and then got a little worried during my 2:00 class. I took all of my stuff and put it my car, just in case. . . But during car dismissal, everything seemed to stop. In fact, I felt like the worst of the day was over. In fact, I felt good enough that I continued on with my plan to shop at the Wee Trade Consignment sale. Mom and I shopped, got some fall clothes for Lucy and the boys along with some crib toys and then met up with Michael and Lucy at Carrabba's for dinner.

While shopping, I had been completely fine. I was even feeling pretty good about myself because the cashier commented on how small I looked for someone who was 8 months pregnant with twins. But at dinner, things began to change quickly.  I remember being really thirsty, so I drank my glass of tea very quickly. Michael had ordered some zucchini fries but as I sat there to eat them, I just didn't feel like eating. The contractions had started up again, and I just felt tired and lousy. I couldn't eat my dinner and by the end, I was just counting down the minutes until i could go home and lay down.

I thought things would ease up as I lay there, but I had contractions consistently every eight minutes. I called the on call doctor (who happened to be mine!) and she wanted me to come in and just check things out. I still at this point in time, just thought it would be a quick stop, get some medicine to help me sleep and possibly a little bed rest for the next few weeks. We did grab the hospital bag, but not because I thought we'd need it.

We got to the hospital around 8:15 and they hooked me up to the monitors. Two different nurses checked my cervix and by 9:00, I was 4 cm dialated and 100% effaced and it was time to get things ready for a C section!

The next little bit is a blur of people getting things prepared and then next thing I knew, we were already in the operating room. At 10:27 PM, Charlie was born. All while he had been in the womb, he had been labeled Baby B, but apparently his placement was closest when they went in to get him. So he became Baby A. He came out, peeing everywhere and letting the world know that his lungs worked. He was 4 lbs, 3 oz and 17 inches long.

Charlie



 Alex followed right behind him at 10:28, with an equally loud set of lungs. He weighed in at 3 lbs, 11.6 oz and was 18 1/4 inches long. Both the boys went up to the NICU immediately, which we expected.

Alex

Together on the way to the NICU



I finally got to go and see them around 1:15 AM the next morning after being in recovery. They both were so beautiful and doing remarkably well for being born at 34 weeks and 2 days. 


 Charlie - Night one in the NICU


Alex - Night one in the NICU


That was quite a lot to happen in a 24 hour period! Needless to say, our journey with Alex and Charlie merely begins here. I will post another entry later to fill everyone in on life in the NICU. We are so thankful though to have them here, and incredibly blessed to be at a hospital with such an amazing staff. Our boys are in such good hands and while they still have a ways to go before they will be ready to come home, we know they are being held in the hands of the Ultimate Healer and He is in control.

1 comment:

  1. We are so happy and excited for you! I have been checking FB and your blog every day for updates - we are praying for those little guys to be strong and healthy and for Laura to have a quick and smooth recovery! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete