Saturday, August 18, 2012

NICU Day 8

After a week, I finally got to hold both boys today at the same time! Mom dropped me off at the NICU around 11:30 so that I could be there for the boys' 12 PM feeding. I took Alex's temperature and changed his diaper and then the nurse got him of his little home and he and I sat down and started to nurse. About 15 minutes later, she asked, "Do you want to try nursing both at the same time?" Well, of course! So she brings Charlie over, IV pole and all and he latched right on and there they both were, in my arms. Words can't even begin to describe what an amazing feeling it was to be able to sit and look at both of them at the same time. After they finished eating, we snuggled for about an hour before they began to get fussy. I finally had to call the nurse back and let her get Alex settled - he had pooped in his diaper and was not happy about it! She got him taken care of while I sat some more with Charlie. He calmed down enough to fall asleep, so I sat and held him some more. Alex needed to be back in his incubator though because the doctor had ordered more phototherapy for him. His jaundice level had increased again and so he needed another day or two under the lights to get things under control. It was really obvious to me when you compared his skin to that of his brother's - Charlie was much pinker and healthier looking. 

I don't have any pictures of me with both of them since no one else was at the hospital at this time with me. But there will be plenty of time for those pictures. I'm just so thankful for those few hours this afternoon of finally being able to hold both those boys together. I have been waiting for that since the moment we found out there were two.

Uncle Lattie came up for a visit at about that time. Since Charlie was still out of his incubator, Uncle Lattie got a few snuggles in too.

Uncle Lattie and Charlie

Alex, back under the bright lights


After leaving the NICU, we headed back to the house, where Lucy quickly took command of Uncle Lattie's attentions. I don't know if he was prepared or not for the onslaught of Princesses and Baby Doll play that Lucy was ready for, but he handled it like a pro. 

A lady at church dropped off two little baby dolls for Lucy to play with like her brothers. She has decided to name these babies, Baby Harper and Baby Lauren. . . blue blankets aside. She has not wanted to let go of them all evening.


After dinner, we took a quick trip back up to the NICU to let Lucy see her brothers and let Uncle Lattie say hi one more time. Both boys were sound asleep and after their busy day, they needed their rest. We only stayed long enough to check and see how they were doing.

And before we go, here are a few pictures of one happy little girl with her "Funcle." :)






No comments:

Post a Comment