Friday, August 17, 2012

NICU - Day 7

Happy one week birthday, Alex and Charlie!!

Both the boys are doing well. We went to visit right at their noon feeding. Before feeding, I got to change Charlie's diaper. Changing a tiny little diaper is hard enough, but when you throw in the incubator that holds Charlie, as well as all the wires attached to him, along with the fact that he hates having his diaper changed. . . . well, it can get to be quite a mess! We got it taken care of though, and I got to feed Charlie for about 15 minutes. He kept falling asleep, but he did eat for a while. Michael finished his feeding by giving him a bottle - he is up to 20 ccs every 3 hours so we want to make sure he is getting everything. Gaining weight is most important right now so that he can maintain his body temperature on his own.

I was afraid Alex wasn't going to have a good feeding because he seemed so sleepy. Have no fear. . . he was hungry! He fed for about 20-25 minutes and then stopped and turned his head away when he was finished. He kept his eyes closed through most of it,  but he definitely wasn't asleep. ;) He is on now on 25 ccs every 3 hours, so the nurse wanted to offer him a bottle afterward but he wasn't interested at all. Alex has also finished up with his antibiotics, so that is one less wire attached to him. Michael and I were actually able to sit next to each other while we fed the boys - it was the closest that we have been able to have the boys near each other.

After leaving the hospital, I felt so lousy. My left ear has been swollen shut and really bothering me. It kept getting worse so Michael took me to the Urgent Care. Apparently, I have an ear infection. So this evening, I stayed home with Lucy and let Grammy and Michael go check on the boys. Hopefully, it won't be a problem for me to return tomorrow. . . Michael texted and said that both boys were weighed this evening and have each gained an ounce. With the way they are eating though, it won't be long until they are packing on the pounds.

Another good day for the boys. . . we are just so thankful to be continuing to take these steps forward. I don't want to complain, because I am well aware of how much more difficult things could be at this point, but life in the NICU can be a little frustrating. I know that for me it is partly due to not feeling my best. But I am ready to hold these boys and be able to stand up without someone having to come help me. I want to be able to pick them up on my own. I want to change a diaper without having to watch out for the tiny little wires. I want to be able to sit together with both my boys next to each other. I even just want to be able to take a picture of my little family of five all together. But as always, it's not about me. . . .it's about them and what they need. And right now, at this stage of their sweet little lives, this is what they need. So please pray that I have patience, that I can keep celebrating all of their steps toward coming home and remind myself that it wont be long until they will be home and I can love on them all day long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment