Saturday, December 14, 2013

Day 13 ( a day late)

This post is late, I know. I even packed my computer last night since I knew we would be out of town, but I didn't get it out. Oh well, better late than never, right?

Yesterday afternoon, Michael and I dropped the kids off at the Flack's house and we headed up to the mountains. We had to return the breast pump in Asheville and since we would be up that way, we decided to make a whole evening of it. We went to dinner at 131 Main, one of our favorite "grown up" restaurants in Asheville, and then went down to Flat Rock to Hope UMC to watch the Mills River/Hope UMC's perform their Christmas cantata.


I know that time passes by, even when you leave a location, but it still amazes me how much "my" kids have grown up since I last saw many of them at last year's program. So many of the youth that Michael and I worked with were there and they are so grown and so mature. They were singing in the choir and playing in the youth orchestra. One of my former piano students, Connor, played the prelude music at the beginning of the service. He did such an amazing job and his talent has just flourished since I last taught him 3 years ago. I was so proud!!! One of the soloists in the program turned out to be a young lady that has recently joined MRUMC but I taught her in elementary music class at Hendersonville Elementary and she was in my fourth and fifth grade chorus. And then there are these precious little ones . . .


Each one of those was one of my "babies" in my cherub choir and now look at them, all grown up and in the junior choir. And Steve's helper for the junior choir? Well, it's hard to see her in the shadows, but it's also one of my first babies from cherub choir. Wow . . . .talk about feeling old! I went back to the restroom before the program started and passed by the junior choir. Kendall, one of my favorite children of all times, saw me and was so excited. She ran over to give me a hug and the child wouldn't let me go. She kept saying, "I'm so glad to see you! I miss you! I miss you!" I'll admit, a few tears fell. (I still well up just thinking about it now!) While I am so thankful to be where we are now in life, and I know that we could never have stayed at Mills River and kept up with the demands we had there, there are some times where I desperately miss it. Like that moment with my sweet Kendall. I miss working with kids at the church and watching them grow and change and become their own individuals, discovering who God is and what impact that has on their life as well as what impact their life will have on the world for God's kingdom. I am so thankful for these moments where we can return "home" (because MRUMC will always feel like home for Michael and me) and continue to have these glimpses of those whom we love so dearly.


And as always, there is something uniquely special about the Mills River choir. What an amazing group of men and women they are. Not only are they talented, but I know that any time I will hear them, there will be these moments when the music is transcended by true worship and you know that God's spirit is moving. Many choirs will perform beautiful Christmas cantatas this year, of course, but this group truly understands what it means to allow God to work through their music to witness to the wonder and mystery of experiencing the joy that comes from God coming to earth in human form. What a blessing it was to be able to hear them this Christmas again.

After the service, we got to visit with lots of dear friends for just a moment. This morning, we met up with a couple of families for breakfast so we'd have a chance to visit just a little more. We met the Ardens and the Davenports in Hendersonville for breakfast and had such a nice time catching up. Also, as a great surprise, the art teacher from HES/BDS was there as well and I'm so glad I got to see Pat as well . . .I miss working with her!! And then, one of the greatest people in the world showed up to see us too . . .


I'm so glad we got to see Taylor. It's been way too long!! She's headed back to Romania to work with babies and little children over her Christmas break so she was home to celebrate early with her family. I can't even put into words how much I love this girl - I am so blessed to have her in my life and have watched her grow and mature into the amazing, fabulous woman that she is today. I can't wait to see how she is going to change the world. (Also, this picture is my post for my Advent photo day 12: Hope. This beautiful girl will bring so much love and hope to those children she will work with. And I can only hope that one day, my little girl will turn out as fabulous as this young lady!)

And after breakfast, we had to head back down the mountain . . . in the pouring down rain . YUCK! Although it was a quick trip "home," it was a good one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment